Now that Fashion Stylist is carrying more affordable lines I thought it would be a good time to talk about how to properly care for your clothes designer or other wise. I get questions all the time about how to wash bathing suits and bras. Here is how I make the most out of my clothing purchases.
1st of all only wash any machine washable clothing in cold water on delicate. 2nd do not over stuff the washer and keep like colors together and similar fabric
( no jeans and t shirts in the same load)
The Detregent debate is large on which is best for your clothing in my experience Woolite works or The Laundress Baby Detergent. These are the more pricy options, most of the time I buy cheaper detergent that I can use for all my laundry and hand wash things that are really delicate in shampoo more on that in the How to hand wash section below.
Next to make your colors last as long as possible avoid drying in the dryer. If you don’t have the time or the space to air dry everything put the dryer on low heat and remove the clothing before it is completely dry and air dry the rest of the way.
Never machine wash Sweaters, Tights or Leggings! some people even say this for bras, I cheat and use a laundry bag on delicate.
How to hand wash: Hand washing is not as bad as it sounds. It takes a little time but it is well worth the effort when your sale sweater from three years ago still look new.
1. After making sure your sink is clean and free from all bleach, fill with luke warm water.
2. Use a gentle detergent, I use a cheap shampoo suds up you water and add your clothing probally one piece at a time.
3. Gently knead the clothing kind of like dough and swish it around to make sure it is getting clean. Your water is more than likely grey at this point lol gross.
4. Squeeze never ring! excess water out of the clothing drain sink
5. Refill sink and rinse repeating the same kneading swishing as before, It is important to get all the soap out of the clothing. Squeeze out exceess water.
6. Now for Sweaters , Bras, and Shirts lay them flat on a bath towel re shaping them to dry. For leggings, and tights you can hang them over a hanger or on a Drying Rack like this one from Kmart if you do not have space to lay them flat.
Some other pointers on how to make your clothing last longer is to wear a Cami under your sweaters so you do not need to wash them as much. Also to invest in a steamer some more affordable clothing can get very wrinkly and the fabric can not handle the heat of the iron trust me even on low, I have melted and burned many trend little dresses. but you can freshen it up with a steamer.